Special applications require special materials.
Materials are often subjected to high and complex requirements. Accordingly, there are high requirements under sometimes extreme environmental conditions and multiaxial stresses in the automotive and power-generation industries as well as in special applications such as protective systems.
Working together with our partners, we can optimize existing materials or design and produce new materials. We can then directly and multilaterally characterize these new developments and compare them with references.
The interplay of high strength and simultaneously high ductility in particular requires the development of new, tailor-made materials or the optimization of commercially available materials. We have many years of expertise in the field of alloy development of metallic materials as well as a severe plastic deformation process (ECAP), which we can use to improve the mechanical characteristics of commercial materials. Our experience in the field of ultra-fine-grained (UFG) materials allows us to assess the material potential even before the forming process. Moreover, we work together with a partner institute to carry out a rolling process with final rolling thicknesses of approx. 1 mm in order to simulate the sheet production.
Heat-treatment processes are also available at our facility.
Nordmetall GmbH can carry out technical laboratory investigations and developments using various hardening and tempering furnaces. The hardening furnaces can also be operated with protective gas. A large drying cabinet is available for special drying tasks.
The JMatPro® software tool is also available for alloy development. This simulation software makes it possible to predict the material characteristics for a variety of alloys. In particular, the following properties/characteristics can be calculated:
- Stable and meta-stable phase equilibrium
- Setting behavior and characteristics
- Mechanical characteristics
- Thermo-physical and physical characteristics
- Phase transitions
- Chemical characteristics. (Source: http://www.sentesoftware.co.uk/jmatpro.aspx)
Severe plastic deformation:
- Dimensions approx. 15×15×120 mm to approx. 41×41×150 mm
(plate die: approx. 103×26×200 mm)
- Variety of metallic materials: magnesium, aluminum, nickel and copper alloys, ferrous materials and low-strength steels, tungsten heavy metal, molybdenum alloys, particle-reinforced metals (MMC)